The reason I wanted to make Emily's food is because I wanted to know exactly what I was feeding her. Look on the label of a Gerber jar food next time you are in the store; there are a ton of ingredients that I couldn't even pronounce, so I doubt that was good for my sweet girl. I buy all organic (or as much of it as I can get in our non-organic friendly town). I also really just enjoy making it. I get to learn how to prepare the fruits and veggies that we normally don't have in the house (cauliflower, anyone?) Here is a step by step on how to make carrots. It is the exact same process for 90% of the other fruits and veggies....SO easy!
I bought a 1/2 lb bag of organic peeled baby carrots. Wash them and cut them into 1 inch chunks and put them in the double boiler. If you don't have a double boiler, a steam basket works perfectly, too. Steaming and baking them retains the most nutrients, so I always stick to those methods. Steam them until tender (about 15 minutes uncovered, 10 minutes covered).
Once steamed, scoop them out into your blender or food processor. I use the magic bullet, it's awesome. You do not need a fancy baby one (Baby Breeza or whatever), a blender is perfectly fine.
Puree until smooth. Now, if the puree is too thick, add some water. For most of the fruits and veggies, add the water from the steamer since the nutrients are in there. For carrots, nitrates form when steamed and you don't want those for the baby, so just add in fresh water as needed. Carrots are weird like that. Check how to make each food on the WBF website above.....I seriously check it every single time.
Scoop the puree into your preferred freezing container. These are called Fresh Baby So Easy Trays and I got them on Amazon. Each of these ice cubes is one ounce.
Put them in the freezer. When done, you can twist the tray to pop them out, or run some warm water on the back of the trays and they will pop right out. Stick them in a labeled freezer bag and you're done! They turn out SO colorful when you are working with fresh fruits and veggies.






I found a local farm that grows vegetables and fruits naturally, and Aidan loves the food more than the organics I find in the grocery store. It's a community supported agriculture group, who lets us pick what we want in our basket each week, and I am feel so lucky to have found it.
ReplyDeleteThat is AWESOME, Diana! I really wish we had something like that here. I bet picking out his food is so fun!
ReplyDelete